Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Areca nut

Bunch of Areca nuts on the Areca palm in Bandra east.

The areca nut is the seed of the areca palm, which grows in much of the tropical Pacific (Melanesia and Micronesia), Southeast and South Asia, and parts of east Africa. It is commonly referred to as betel nut. The term areca originated from the Malayalam word aṭaykka and dates back to the 16th century when Dutch and Portuguese sailors took the nut from Kerala to Europe. Areca nuts are chewed with betel leaf for their effects as a mild stimulant. Wikipedia

To view images from 'Our world' or to participate in this fabulous meme please click here and a blog hop here

14 comments:

  1. Now that you show them, I think I see these around Honolulu. But where to get the betel leaf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...in Maui I often see them as much smaller plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of the areca palm but I never knew this much about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm not wrong, I think Paan is made from the nut and leaf, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, have never seen this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of Areca palm but I've certainly heard of chewing betel nut. How disappointing to learn it is only a mild stimulant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once I read the words "betel nut" i knew exactly what you were talking about, I have a friend from Papua New Guinea who use to tell me they had them there too, apparently they stain your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that the one that gives you such red teeth?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating to see things growing and blooming and living in different parts of the globe.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/08/american-tobacco-campus-durham-nc.html

    ReplyDelete